Why a workplace charger is more expensive?

workplace charger

An EV home charger & workplace charger are 2 different scenarios…


Most home installations are standard, consumer unit is in an accessible place, within 10 metres of the charge point fitting area.

Yes, we need information like electricity usage, main fuse, earthing, MPAN etc. But this can be gained through a simple remote survey.

It’s the 80/20 rule, 80% are standard, with the remaining 20% needing further investigation with extra pictures, videos etc.

Another thing, is the available electricity. 99.9% of homes have single phase. Whereas, at workplaces phase 3 is usually available, so 22Kw charge points can be installed, which charge EV’s 3X as fast.

The setup at workplaces is more complicated too, with feeds required for machinery, plant, and other appliances.

At a workplace the 80/20 rule works in reverse, 20% are simple installations, with 80% being complicated & need a site inspection.

Charging at a workplace will soon become commonplace, with the workforce (without access to a home chargers) using them.

So, a workplace charger has to be robust with different software features, above what a person needs at home.

Which makes installing a workplace charger about twice the price of a home charger.

…and why we do a free physical survey for each workplace enquiry.


Alison Whitfield

News Categories
11 May 2021
Your Cart
Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop

Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme

The scheme is currently open to applicants that:

  1. Rent their house or bungalow.
  2. Own or rent an apartment / flat.
  3. Are the landlord of a domestic rental property.
  4. Are a social housing provider.
  5. Has dedicated off-road parking at the property.
  6. Own or have ordered a qualifying vehicle.
  7. Have not previously claimed an OLEV grant.

Not sure if you are eligible?

Contact us to discuss your individual requirements.

Standard installation terms

  1. Fitting of an EV charger on a brick wall, or to another suitable permanent structure.
  2. Up to 10 metres of cable, run and neatly clipped to the wall between the electricity supply meter/distribution board and the charging unit.
  3. Supply meter/distribution board on the inside of an outside wall.
  4. Routing the cable through a drilled hole in a wall up to 500mm thick (if required).
  5. Fitting & testing of electrical connections & protections required for the EV charger.
  6. An additional three-way consumer unit (if required).
  7. Installation of a Type C MCB and a Type A RCD or a type A RCBO.
  8. No groundworks 

Not standard installation?

Contact us to discuss your individual requirements.